IThe ex-Browning Collection
1913 LOZIER TYPE 77 MONTCLAIR FIVE PASSENGER TOURING
Chassis No. 7954
Blue with orange coachlining, black chassis and running gear, upholstered in black tufted leather with a black canvas top
Engine: six cylinder, in-line, L-head, cast in threes, 36 rated horsepower, 50 actual hp; Gearbox: manual three-speed with reverse; Suspension: semi-elliptic springs front with platform springs at rear; Brakes: mechanical internal expanding on rear wheels. Left hand drive.
From the beginning of its automobile production in 1905, Lozier became one of the most respected names in early American motor cars. Incorporating some of the best engineering ideas from the finest European cars of the time, the 1905 Lozier, with its all aluminum coachwork, met with immediate and enthusiastic acceptance. Unfortunately, with a factory list price of $4,500 it did not fit into every motorist's budget. In 1907 Lozier entered the competition arena and in the next several years set unequalled records in winning twenty-four hour races, thereby continually proving the soundness and durability of Lozier design. In 1910 its racing laurels included winning the Elgin Road Race and in 1911 it won the famed Vanderbilt Cup Race as well as placing a controversial second at the inaugural Indianapolis 500. The win was disputed because it was, and still is, believed by some enthusiasts and historians that Lozier was robbed of the Indy victory due to faulty timing and scoring, allowing hometown favorite Marmon to win.
Despite prices climbing to over $6,000, the Lozier's popularity rose year after year thanks to such innovations as water-cooled brakes and its reputation for bulldog toughness combined with mechanical refinement and top notch quality. During 1910, the Lozier manufacturing plant moved from Plattsburgh, New York to Detroit, Michigan due to demand for the cars and the New York plant's limited capacity of 600 autos per year. But this move did Harry A. Lozier no good as he was ousted from the presidency of his firm in 1912. Production plummeted and a number of key defections followed. By late 1914 Lozier was in receivership. Two further reorganization efforts fizzled and in 1918 the name of Lozier was sadly deleted from the roster of great American marques.
The Model 77 on offer here was purchased by Mr. Laskey from Christie's famed Browning Collection Auction in 2000. At the time the car had resided with the Brownings since 1988, and correspondence on file suggested that prior to then it had been owned for many years, possibly since the mid-1970s by Mr. James Bragg.
When purchased, the car was in presentable but slightly tired order, and Mr. Laskey felt that its black livery did not suit the car. Since most of these cars were originally finished in Lozier blue, he made the sensible decision to refurbish it in an attractive sea blue livery, retaining the black upholstery but also fitting a complete new top. To further brighten the car, the wheels have been repainted in silver and orange, and these colors continued in coachlining to the bodywork.
Today, the car is in excellent cosmetic condition, the interior, engine bay and motor are equally presentable. The Lozier is fitted with a Bosch ZR6 magneto, Gray and Davis headlamps, black painted Vesta Accumulator side lamps as well as dual side mirrors, a windshield washer and an attractive folding windscreen. Also included is a Stewart 60mph speedometer and an electric clock. It is equipped with a factory-installed electric self-starter for ease of operation and 36 x 4½in Firestone tires, and should provide the new owner with the kind of satisfying performance for which these cars are admired and respected by brass-era collectors.