Little is known of the gentleman amateur painter James Hore who was the grandson of Colonel Walter Hore of Harperston, Co. Wexford, and Lady Anne Stopford, daughter of the 1st Earl of Courtown. It is known, from signed and dated drawings, that he was in Rome in 1829 and he seems from his known work to have specialized in topographical views of Dublin.
This view is taken from the corner of Burgh Quay and Hawkins Street and is a fascinating record of Dublin in the early nineteenth Century. In the distance to the right, across the river, is the Customs House, which had been built by James Gandon (1743-1823). To the left, across the river, is Eden Quay. A street directory of 1847 published by Pettigrew and Oulton in Dublin, records that the six red brick houses to the left of the composition numbered among their tenants James Miley, Ship Broker & agent for the American Line of Packets and Salemaster (no. 1) ; John Connell, Cider Merchant, Commercial Carriage & Furniture Owner and Mr Louis Du Noyer, Professor of French (no.3); Daniel Kenny, Emigration Agent and Kiernan & Dillon, Ship & Mercantile agents, for the London regular sailing traders (no. 4); Catherine Beckley, London & Sheffield Hotel & Tavern (no.5); and William Edwards & Co, Wine & general Merchants and Ship Owners (no.6). No.2 Eden Quay was recorded as vacant. The large building to the right of these and to the left of the Customs House, previously known as the Northumberland building, belonged to Edward North, London & Liverpool Hotel and Tavern: While the building to the right of the composition on the corner of Burgh Quay and Hawkins street belonged to T.P. Wilson, a seedman and corn merchant, as recorded by Hore in the advertisement he meticulously shows on the side of the building.
A similar view by Hore of the Customs House, seen across the river, again through the rigging of boats anchored on the Quay, but from a different view point on South Quay, in front of the Customs House, is recorded in a private collection (see A. Crookshank and the Knight of Glin, Ireland's Painters, New Haven and London, 2002, p. 206, pl. 271). Hore exhibited pictures of The Customs House and the Four Courts, with a view of Trinity College and The Bank at the Royal Academy in 1837: the former may be identifiable with the present picture.