Dr. Eduard Safarik has confirmed the attribution to Johann Kupetzki, having seen the painting in person, as stated in a letter, dated 19 September 1970. A second version of the present painting, from circa 1710 is in the Alte Pinakothek, Munich (see E.A. Safarik, Johann Kupezky (1666-1740) Ein Meister des Barockporträts, Aachen, 2002, p. 41, no. 7).
Dr. Safarik points out that the Munich picture, and therefore possibly the present composition, was painted on the occasion of the artist's marriage in 1709.