A preliminary watercolour was sold in the Rooms on 15 November 1993, lot 157 (illustrated).
The second house from the left was bought by Aelbert Cuyp and his wife Cornelia Boschman in 1663. This may have been the reason for the Dordrecht artist Rutten to paint this view and one of anther house previously owned by Cuyp (see J.M. de Groot, J.G. van Gelder, Aelbert Cuyp en zijn familie, schilders te Dordrecht, Dordrecht 1977/78, pp. 17/18). The interest in the work and life of Cuyp was stimulated in the 18th and 19th Century by the 'Teekengenootschap Picture' founded in 1774 by Abraham and Jacob van Strij.
See colour illustration