The present work is one of three versions of this subject painted by the artist. The larger version, measuring 19¼ x 30¼ in., is entitled Boar Lane, Leeds by Lamplight (Private Collection). It has been described as 'one of Grimshaw's most lovingly painted street scenes, not only in the suggestion of night-time atmosphere, but also in the way the light from shop windows is reflected on the wet pavement and cobbles.' (A. Robertson, Atkinson Grimshaw, London, 1988, p. 84). A third version has been acquired recently by Leeds City Art Gallery.
In 1867, the south side of Boar Lane was demolished and rebuilt to allow for the widening of the road. On the north side, the church of Holy Trinity is seen set back from the road; the church was built in 1727 though the tower was rebuilt in 1839.
We are grateful to Alexander Robertson, Curator, Leeds City Art Gallery, for his help in the preparation of this catalogue entry.