Narford Hall, home of the Fountaine family (see lot 11), lies some seven miles south-east of King's Lynn. It was bought by Andrew Fountaine in 1690 and rebuilt, the main facade as shown in this drawing dating from about 1700. The bay on the left was added later in the 18th Century; on the right the library of 1719 forms a link with the outbuildings. The house was subsequently remodelled by William Burn circa 1860. The hall contains important decorations by Antonio Pellegrini, who was in England between 1706 and 1713.
This drawing may have been executed in connection with the publication Excursions in the County of Norfolk, two volumes, 1818 and 1819, which contained 100 illustrations by Cotman and other artists. His drawing of Quidenham Hall, Norfolk, 1818, now in the Birmingham Museum and Art Gallery, is very similar and was engraved by Cotman for this book.