Bald Charlotte ('Bald' was a popular prefix to the name of a horse with a white face), otherwise known as Lady Legs, was bred in Yorkshire by Captain Appleyard by Old Royal out of a mare by Bethel's Castaway in 1721.
She first won the King's Plate for mares at Habledon in what was an enormous field for the period of twenty-four horses. She then became the property of Lord Milsington and won several races at Newmarket, where the present picture is set with 'the Ditch' in the background. In one such race, by which time she belonged to Mr Vane, she carried eighteen stone in a race over four miles and beat Swinger (carrying seventeen stone) for 200 guineas. In 1727 she won the King's 1000 guineas for six-year-olds at Winchester, and later raced at Lincoln for Mr Collyer, later Earl of Portmore. Towards the end of her career she passed to Mr Coke and finally back to Mr Vane. At stud she belonged to the Duke of Somerset.