Established in the middle ages with the wealth of flourishing local textile industries, the town of Bridgnorth lies on a ridge of sandstone cliff along the west bank of the Severn. The Church of St. Leonard dominates the hill behind the gatehouse and the bridge. It is probable that this picture relates to sketches Farington made of Bridgnorth during his tour of the West Midlands in 1789 (Victoria & Albert Museum, AM P 90-1921 and British Museum, 1922.06.125). Farington had already achieved a reputation as a topographical draughtsman by this time, following the publication of his Views of the Lakes, etc, in Cumberland and Westmorland in 1789, and the Views of Cities and Towns in England and Wales in 1790. He exhibited a variation of this view, 'The Bridge at Bridgnorth' at the Royal Academy in 1792 (no. 68), and another composition of the subject by him was engraved by W. Byrne and T. Medland, and published on 1 January 1791.