The earliest section of Crewe Hall was built by Sir Randolph Crewe and dates from 1615-1636. In the late 18th century and early 19th century the 1st Baron Crewe added significantly to the Jacobean style interior and exterior of the house. In 1830 the house was restored by the 3rd Baron. However, in 1866 a fire virtually gutted the building, and E. M. Barry was commissioned to restore it. The interior was decorated by Clayton and Bell, and by J. G. Crace.