Like Damascus, the trading city of Aleppo has been continuously inhabited. Having withstood assault by the Crusaders in the 12th century, it fell under the Mongols in the 13th century, who massacred the inhabitants. It later underwent a revival under the Ottoman Turks from the 16th century, becoming the most important market in the Levant, and prosperity continued through the 18th and 19th centuries, particularly after 1880, when the railway arrived.
This view of the ancient city shows a distant mosque and minarets taken from close to the 13th century Antioch Gate (Bab Antakia). The Girault de Prangey archive includes approximately ten daguerreotype views, mostly in this same format, showing various aspects of the Citadel and ancient city of Aleppo.