The monument of Philopappos dates from 114-116 A.D. It was erected on the Hill of the Muses in honour of Gaius Julius Antiochus Philopappos, a Roman Consul who settled in Athens. It had an unusual concave marble façade on the north side, visible from the Acropolis, which was 12 meters high and contained niches with statues of Philopappos and his grandfather, Antiochus IV. A frieze depicted the arrival of Philopappos by chariot for his inauguration as Roman consul in 100 AD. Copies of the inscriptions on the façade made in the late 15th century indicate that it had remained virtually intact until then.
From this daguerreotype we see that in 1842, when Girault de Prangey was making photographs in Athens, only a fragment of the original memorial remained. It was not until 1898 that further excavations were carried out in the area of the monument and in the following year conservation work was undertaken. Visitors now see the full height of the structure on its plinth and additional parts of the façade have been reconstructed.
There is one other photograph of this building in the archive, a whole-plate study made from a similar viewpoint.