This is one of four known images of the same subject in a similar format. One, in the collection of the Bibliothèque nationale de France was exhibited in 1989 at the Musée Carnavalet exhibition Paris et le Daguerréotype and more closely resembles another, sold at Christie's South Kensington, 5 May 2000, lot 5. In the present example the photographer has moved in closer to his subject, omitting the lampposts in the foreground and concentrating more rigorously on the mass and detail of the pavilion itself. Other studies showing the courtyard of the Tuileries exist and are dated 1841.
This central pavilion of the Tuileries Palace was of historical and architectural significance as it was the only part of the grand palace, commissioned by Catherine de Médici, to be completed by the original architect Philibert de l'Orme before he died in 1570. Philibert de l'Orme (c. 1510-1570) was one of the greatest architects of the French Renaissance. Having lived in Rome for three years in the 1530s, he returned to France to work in a style that combined Italian classicism with traditional French architecture. The palace was named after the tile kilns or tuileries, which had previously occupied the land. In the 1600s the building was greatly enlarged and the dome was altered to designs by Louis Le Vau. The enormous palace was severely damaged by fire during the Paris Commune in 1871 and finally demolished in 1882.