A modello for the large picture painted in 1843 for the Protestant church of St. Matthäus in Munich (S. Seeliger, Julius Schnorr von Carolsfeld, exhib. cat., Mainz, Landesmuseum and elsewhere, 1995, p. 164, illustrated). The picture used to stand on the main altar of the church but was taken down in 1938. Another preparatory study for that altarpiece, with numerous minor differences, is in a private collection (S. Seelinger, op. cit., no. 69).
The composition was engraved by Paul Barfus in 1857 (S. Seeliger, op. cit., p. 24, fig. 4).