Joseph Jüttner (1775-1848) was the first successful Austrian globe-maker in an otherwise largely undistinguished national industry. A captain in the Austrian army, having worked on a number of military maps he published his first globe in 1822, a 12½in. diameter terrestrial, of which the globe here offered is an example. This was published as a collaboration with Belgian Lieutenant Franz Lettany (1793-1863) who had been known to work with Wolfgang Paul Jenig (1743-1805) in Nuremburg, himself a publisher (or more frequently, reissuer) of globes. The companion celestial globe followed in 1824, although Lettany had no hand in this. It showed the stars calculated for the year 1850, which would fall two years after Jüttner's death. A fine armillary sphere followed in 1828, as did reissues of the terrestrial 12½in. in 1827, 1830 and 1840. Jüttner's largest and finest globes were the celestial and terrestrial library globes of 24¾in. diameter, published in 1838 and 1839 respectively. By this time he had transferred from Prague to Vienna and held a high position in the Bombardier Corps, the Austrian research institute for arms technology. The terrestrial of this pair was reissued in Armenian in 1848 by the Mechithariste Monastery, a renowned centre of Armenian culture then as now. These 24¾in. globes remain the largest made in Austria to this day.
Lettany himself would also publish a 9in. globe under his own name around 1825 which, fine as it was, probably suffered through direct competition with a fine globe of almost the same size by Viennese maker Tranquillo Mollo (1767-1837). As such, there is only one recorded example.
Despite their fine output, the globe-makers of the Austro-Hungarian Empire would not be able to capitalise on the boom of the 1820's and 30's; their output was no match for the soon-to-be pervasive influence of the most prolific of Czech manufacturers, publishers to the Austro-Hungarian monarchy, Jan Felkl and Son.