The Invercargill was built in 1874 by R. Duncan & Co. Port Glasgow. She was an Iron Ship of 1246 reg. tons (1310 gross tons). She was built for the Albion Shipping Co (P. Henderson) Glasgow. In 1883 she transferred to Shaw Savill and Albian Wine London. In 1905 she was sold to N.A.P. Staubo, Tredestrand, Norway and renamed Varg. On 20 February 1905 she left 'Tail of the Bank' for Christiabnia with coal ballast and went missing.