This model is illustrated in the firm's catalogue, Galeries Edgar Brandt, 1926, p. 15.
This floor lamp is the largest of three lamp models Brandt designed which use the serpent as a dramatic standard supporting an illuminated shade. The premiere ironworker of the Art Deco period, Brandt is as famous for his domestic lighting fixtures and furniture as for his impressive and monumental architectural commissions, including the Gate of Honour at the entrance to the 1925 Paris Exposition des Arts Dcoratifs et Industriels Modernes. When Brandt needed a complementary material for his wrought-iron work, he turned to the leading manufacturers of the day; his stringent requirements for glass were met by the firm of Daum Freres. Daum was established in Nancy, France, in 1875, and produced standard tablewares until the 1890s when they introduced artistic glass. They continued to evolve successfully through the 20th Century as tastes changed, and exist today as a highly regarded manufacturer of crystal.