Born in Tiflis, now Tbilisi, the capital of Georgia, L. Gudiashvili studied at the School of Painting and Sculpture in his native town from 1910 to 1914. His meeting with the gifted, self-educated artist Niko Pirosmanashvili in 1916 was to influence him for the rest of his life, with whom he was a founding member of the Georgian Artistic Society. From 1919 until 1926 he studied at the Académie Ronson in Paris, in which city he met Modigliani, Zuluaga, Goncharova and Larionov. His romantic depictions of Georgian life were influenced by his knowledge of ancient Georgian and Persian art, and often show the beautiful people and hospitality of his homeland. After his return home at the end of 1925 he soon adapted to the principles of Georgian Soviet art, and painted on canvas and fresco, designed for theatre and film, and for book illustration.