Léon Hatot was born in 1882 in Chatillon-sur-Seine, France. At the early age of 22 he was already running his own business, specializing in watch case engraving, and rapidly established a workshop producing high quality watches and jewellery. His Paris branch supplied his products to the principal jewellers of the rue de la Paix, such as Boucheron, Lacloche, Mauboussin, Van Cleef & Arpels and others.
Léon Hatot had a keen interest in electrical horology and founded a separate division for research and development of clocks and watches powered by electric cells in 1920. His electric clocks, produced under the trade name "ATO" as of 1923, were an immediate success. At the 1925 International Decorative Arts Exhibition, Hatot won a Grand Prix for a whole range of electric clocks, housed in marble, chrome, marquetry and fine wood cases, some in moulded glass cases made by the renowned Lalique.
Léon Hatot died in 1953, leaving behind hundreds of original designs, bearing witness to the Maison Hatot's leading influence on the watch and jewellery styles of the 1920s and 1930s.
Since 1999, Maison Léon Hatot is part of the Swatch Group.