The Tolbooth was the administrative centre of the Canongate when it was an independent burgh, beyond the confines of the Edinburgh town walls. The Council Chambers, law courts and jail were all situated in the building which dates from 1591, when Sir Lewis Bellenden of Auchintoul commissioned a Tolbooth in the French style. With its turrets and steeple, and the large clock added in 1884, the building is a distictive landmark on the Royal Mile. It now houses a museum exploring the lives of Edinburgh's citizens. Another watercolour of the Royal Mile by Louise Rayner was sold at Christie's, Edinburgh on 28 October 1999 for £26,450.