When the boundaries of the City were more defined than they are today, Temple Bar was one of the gateways through which travellers and traffic had to pass. It originally stood where Fleet Street now meets the Strand. There are records of a bar as far back as 1293, when it was most likely merely a chain or bar set between two posts. This present bar was purportedly designed by Sir Christopher Wren (1632-1723). In 1878 the Temple Bar was removed stone by stone to Theobalds in Hertfordshire to ease congestion but in 2004 Temple Bar was returned to the City and now sits on a site near St Paul's Cathedral.
Rayner executed another view of Temple Bar which was sold Sotheby's, London, 25 January 1988, lot 199. For a note on the artist see lot 144.