A study, with minor differences, for Cigoli's altarpiece painted for a chapel in the Church of Saints Francesco and Chiara next to the Montughi Capuchin Monastery in Florence (F. Faranda, Ludovico Cardi detto il Cigoli, Rome, 1986, no. 47, pl. XXX).
The painting has been dated stylistically to between 1595 and 1600. The chapel was dedicated to the Immaculate Conception on 20 September 1577 by Pope Gregory XIII and the confirmation of the privilege of the altar was granted by Pope Clement VII on 10 October 1601. The painting was probably made in preparation for this event.
The painting follows the drawing closely, notably in the arrangement of the figures, but in the former the archangel is holding a crown while in the latter he has a stem of lilies. Furthermore the balustrade in the background of the painting is only touched in light black chalk in the drawing.