Most is best known as a portraitist and genre painter; of his landscapes, the present work is considered among the finest.
The artist spent a month in spa village of Kreuth in 1841, making numerous on-the-spot sketches that he later worked up into full-scale compositions in his home town of Stettin.
Kreuth was a popular resort for Bavarian royalty. Although much of the spa complex was destroyed during World War II, the church visible in the painting still stands.
We are grateful to Eckhard Wendt for his assistance in cataloguing this lot.