The iron screw schooner Brilliant was designed and built by Day & Co. at Southampton in 1863. Registered at 330 tons gross (250 net), she measured 192 feet in length with a 21 foot beam, and was powered by a compound inverted 2-cylinder 130hp. engine by Earles of Hull. Owned during the 1880's by B. Samuelson, M.P., by 1897 she had passed into the hands of a French aristocrat Marquis d'Urre d'Aubais who renamed her Regulus. Last recorded in 1914, she disappears from record thereafter, presumably a casualty of the Great War.