Malby & Co. (fl.1843-1860) were a prolific family firm of nineteenth-century London globe-makers, founded in around 1843 by Thomas Malby on the takeover of the business of John Addison & Co., "Globe Maker to his Most Gracious Majesty George IV". The Malby company's title, in turn, was "Globe Manufacturers and Publishers to the Society For The Diffusion Of Useful Knowledge", which was mentioned on each of their cartouches. The firm produced globes of 2, 12 and 18in. diameter and in 1849, they constructed the largest pair of globes ever made in England, the terrestrial of which was a reissue of Addison's "Terraqueous Globe" of 36in.diameter, and which were shown at the Great Exhibition. This terrestrial globe was, in turn, later republished by James Wyld (1812-1887) in 1867.
Malby's globes would later be reissued by the prolific London firm of Philip & Son (founded 1834) but for much of the second half of the nineteenth century they were published and reissued by the publisher Edward Stanford (1827-1904). Stanford had set up in 1852 and published a number of geographical works before producing an atlas for the Society for the Diffusion of Useful Knowledge. His Stanford's Geographical Establishment employed A.K. Johnston, who would go on to become a successful globe-maker in his own right in London and Edinburgh; globes appear for the first time in his catalogue in 1860, presumably taking over the Malby stock since they still bore the latter's name. Stanford's catalogues also offered the unusual collapsible globes by John Betts and the service of covering old globes with new gores.
The exact identity of the engraver Charles Malby has not been established.