MARSAND, Antonio (1765-1842). Biblioteca Petrarchesca. Milan: privately printed by Paolo Emilio Giusti, 1826.
Large 4o (298 x 185 mm). Engraved frontspiece-portrait, a view of Petrarch's birthplace, and 4 facsimile plates.
FINELY BOUND BY E. CHATELIN FOR THE DUC DE CHARTRES, London c. 1865: gold-tooled fawn crushed morocco, sides panelled with multiple fillets, hatched tools and large leafy branches in the corners extending into the central panel, arms of the Duc de Chartres incorporating his initials in the center (Olivier 2584 fer 3), hatched tool in compartments of spine, roll-tooled turn-ins, top edges gilt, the others uncut, stamp-signed on verso of front free endpaper. Folding cloth case. Provenance: Robert-Philippe-Louis-Eugène-Ferdinand d'Orléans, Duc de Chartres (1840-1910), soldier, historian and book collector; fought on the Union side in the American Civil War.
NO. 15 OF AN EDITION LIMITED TO 150 COPIES, printed on wove paper (perhaps involving a further limitation). Marsand, a political economy professor at Padua University, formed a most remarkable Petrarch collection, of which this catalogue forms the only permanent record. In 1826 he sold it to Charles X of France against a life pension, but its transfer to Paris was delayed by the July Revolution. However, Louis-Philippe, the Orléans King of the French, honored the arrangement and placed the collection in the Louvre, where it burned with the rest of the library during the Commune.
ASSOCIATION COPY from the library of Louis-Philippe's grandson, in a handsome armorial binding from a rare London atelier that worked for the French aristocratic political exiles. Little is known about Chatelin. He exhibited in the Great Exhibition of 1862 and bound for the greatest emigré collector, the Duc d'Aumale, who lived at Twickenham from 1848 to 1871. He may have been in the permanent household of one or the other Duke, as both collected on a scale that would have justified such an arrangement. BBB Wittockiana 36; BBB Harvard 28.