This painting depicts Tugia ahead of The Lady Ann, racing off Monaco in a moderate to gusty wind. Hispania and Mariska are about to round the mark, marking an occasion when all four remaining 15-metres finally raced together and thus creating an epic scene not witnessed since before 1914. Designed by William Fife, all four yachts were built on the Clyde, at the Fairlie Yard, which produced some of the finest yachts ever created.
This painting expresses the power of the rig with the yachts racing at their maximum speed on a breezy day, lee decks awash and all hands on the weather decks.
Christie's are grateful to the artist for his help in preparing this catalogue entry.