This camera's manufacture was completed on 2 October 1915 when it was sold to Balboa Amusement Production Company along with a range of lenses and accessories. Fewer than 1500 examples of the 2709 are believed to have been made.
The Balboa company was established in 1913 and was America's largest independent studio. Herbert M Horkheimer originally bought the studio from the Edison company and updated it. At it's height it occupied twenty buildings, an eleven acre lot in Signal Hill and employed 250 full-time employees. It's glass stage was the worlds largest and the film lab had the largest capacity west of Chicago.
Between 1918 and 1923 Balboa was the most productive independent studio in the world producing features, shorts and serials which were released through Fox, Pathé, Paramount, Mutual, General Film and others. Roscoe 'fatty' Arbuckle leased Balboa Studios in 1917 when he headed his own film company for which the glass studio was built. Charlie Chaplin made three visits to Balboa during this period.