The Ann McKim was built by Kennard and Williamson of Baltimore for the Honourable Issac McKim. Of 493 tons, launched in June 1833, she was the largest and most handsome merchant ship of her time. In her early years she was emplyed on the South America run and in 1838 established the best run of her career around the Horn, travelling from Coquimbo to Baltimore in 60 days.
Later in 1838 Ann McKim was engaged on the China run; Montague Dawson commemorated this phase of her career with a painting of the Ann McKim leaving Foochow for home (see L G G Ramsey, Montague Dawson, 1967, p. 35, no. 124). As other faster ships were built, the Ann McKim was moved back to the South American trade. Ann McKim sailed under the Chilean flag from 1847 to 1852 before being dismantled off the coast of Chile.