MOONSTONE AND SAPPHIRE BRACELET
Set with a line of oval and round moonstones, each flanked by circular-cut sapphires, alternating with circular-cut sapphire links, mounted in platinum--7¼ in. long
Signed by Tiffany & Co.
Louis Comfort Tiffany, known for his stained glass windows, leaded glass lamps, and his famous glass vases, began producing jewelry in 1902 under the auspices of Tiffany Furnaces. In May 3, 1907, Tiffany & Co. purchased this department, setting up a special "Art Jewelry" department at their store, located at 37th street and Fifth Ave. All of Louis Tiffany's Jewelry made up after this date are stamped "Tiffany & Co." This department remained opened until 1933.
Tiffany preferred gemstones that were either opaque or translucent. He choose turquoise, jade, lapis lazuli, opals or moonstones either for their denseness or their ability to filter light, always emphasizing coloristic qualities which was typical of his oeuvre.
Gemstones with translucency allow light to pass through, but diffuse it so that the objects on the other side are not clearly visable. Moonstones exibit an almost "see-through" quality and reminded Tiffany of his earlier glass vases as well as the diffused light evident in the sky of paintings, executed while he was in Africa. These bluish adularescent stones were readily available at the turn of the century, imported from southern Sri Lanka, and were a favorite stone that Tiffany used in many of his jewelry designs.