[NEW YORK]. STUYVESANT, PIETER (1592-1672), Governor of New Netherland. Document signed ("P Stuyvesant ") as Governor, countersigned, New Amsterdam, 19 April 1657. 1 page, oblong folio (13 x 15 3/8 in.) written in a clear Dutch scribal hand on heavy paper (original deckle edges preserved), large papered seal with the emblem of New Amsterdam (a crowned shield with a large beaver), the seal decorated with a four-pointed paper cut-out, small tears along several folds affecting a few letters text at left-hand portion, otherwise in fine original condition, in Dutch.
A FINE STUYVESANT DOCUMENT, WITH SEAL, CONFIRMING THE 1636 PATENTS FOR NEW AMERSFOORT, BROOKLYN (NOW FLATLANDS)
A very attractive Stuyvesant document, confirming the validity of the lands purchased from the Lenape indians in 1636, which became the village of Amersfoort and now constitutes the Flatlands, part of Brooklyn. The document confirms ownership of these lands, provided the present and future inhabitants acknowledge the authority of the Dutch West India Company and its officials. It reads: "Petrus Stuyvesant and Council, on behalf of the directors of the West India Company, grant to the inhabitants of the village of Amesfoort on Long Island, full ownership of a parcel of marshland, abutting on the south east side of the Flats ["t'Vlack"] on the north side of the boundary of Midwout [now Midwood, Brooklyn]...on the west side of the point of Konarsesingh [Canarsie], provided that they, the inhabitants already there or yet to come, recognize the Lords Director [of the West India Company] as their superiors under the sovreignty of their High Mightinesses, the Lords States General, and obey the Director and Council in everything etc. as stated in more detail in the patent or ground-brief for their land...."
Amersfoort was one of six towns settled under Dutch rule within the area of the present borough of Brooklyn (New Amersfoort, New Utrecht, Boswyck, Midwout, Gravesend and Breuckelen). Beginning in 1636, a handful of New Amsterdam residents (including Hudde and Gerritsen, the purchasers in the preceding document) bought large tracts of farmland in a fertile area of western Long Island. The small agricultural village they founded grew slowly, but in 1647 there were enough residents for the town to be named Amersfoort, after a city near Utrecht in the Netherlands. In 1654 the town boasted its own magistrates and a militia. It was renamed Flatlands under English rule, and absorbed into present-day Brooklyn. The old town possesses the oldest surviving house in New York, the Peter Claesen Wycoff farmhouse, built in 1652, at Clarenden Road and Ralph Avenue.