One of the most important names in English globe manufacturing, the Newton family business was established by John Newton (1759-1844). John Newton was an apprentice to Thomas Bateman and published the family's first globe in 1783 in partnership with map engraver William Palmer; this was a pocket globe of 2¾in. diameter, reissued from Nathaniel Hill's copper plates of 1754. The firm operated originally from the "Globe & Sun", 128 Chancery Lane (Hill's old address), moving to 97 Chancery Lane in 1803, before settling at 66 Chancery Lane in 1817.
A number of the family appear to have been involved producing globes of many different sizes: George Newton published a 38cm. diameter globe in 1787; James Newton (b.1748) published a 31cm. diameter globe in 1801; and in 1818 the firm published globes under the names of Newton & Son and J. & W. Newton, the addition being William (1786-1861), son of John. William was a valuable addition to the firm, operating also as a patent agent, and in 1832 his Familiar introduction to astronomy and the use of globes was published to accompany the globes they produced.
The company's name changed again in the 1830's, to Newton, Son & Berry (fl.1832-1841) as they were joined by Miles Berry (another patent agent and civil engineer). William's son, William Edward (1818-1879), joined in 1838 and the firm became known as W. Newton & Son, or once again simply Newton & Son, from 1841 until about 1883. Neither the addition of William's other son, Alfred Vincent (1821-1900) in 1843, nor that of Frederick (1824-1909) had any impact on the name of the firm, which remained unchanged as Newton & Son. The instrument firm of Newton & Co., operating from 1851 onwards from 3 Fleet Street, was the business of William Edward and Frederick, grandson of Daniel Newton, younger brother of John, and son of Charles, a linen draper from Hitchin.
Perhaps the greatest triumph for the Newton family was the Great Exhibition of 1851, where they not only exhibited globes from 1 to 25in. diameter, but were also awarded a prize medal for a manuscript terrestrial globe of six feet diameter.