In 1579, the vacant premises of the Sint Luciën Monastery provided the suitable setting for Amsterdam's orphenage. Two years later, in 1581, the city's regents ordered the building to be renovated and had a striking porch placed near the Klaverstraat. In 1632, another great renovation took place with façades being raised on the north, west and south walls of the girl's courtyard. In that same year, a new gallery was built in front of the old monastery. The designer of the gallery is still presumed to be P. de Keyzer.
The present lot shows orphans, dressed in their characteristic red and black uniforms, strolling through this very gallery.