Accompanied by a three-tier mahogany observation box, the circular plaque to the top with inscription NO. 4348 Brüder Klumak Wien. Klumak Brothers in Vienna were chronometer makers for the Austro-Hungarian Imperial and Royal Navy.
Joseph Nicolaus (1855-1923) was a watchmaker and watch collector in Vienna. He participated at various exhibitions and became a master watchmaker in 1885. The Watch Museum in Vienna owns several of his watches.
The present watch is engraved K. u. K. Kriegs-Marine or Kaiserliche und Königliche Kriegs-Marine and was supplied to the Austro-Hungarian Imperial and Royal Marine. The case was most probably made in Switzerland as it is stamped with the Swiss silver mark used from 1882 to 1934 depicting a standing bear.