The present work is one of several (studio) versions of a lost painting of 1492 by Giovanni Bellini known only from the works of his followers. Heinemann records three other versions by Rondinelli, including those in the Accademia dei Concordi, Rovigo (Inv. no. 70); and the Galleria Doria-Pamphilji, Rome (Inv. no. 172); see F. Heinemann, op.cit, p. 14, nos. 47 j-l; II, p. 277, pl. 295.