NOEL E. ODELL (1890-1987)
A collection of equipment, [circa 1922], used by Odell on the 1924 Everest expedition, comprising:
1. Blue foolscap folder with descriptions and user instructions for the cooking stoves and utensils, torches, goggles and a ladder bridge taken on the 1924 expedition, including three blueprint diagrams for the assemblage and employment of the ladder; with, loosely inserted in the folder, 2 letters of 1925 concerning modifications to the Primus stoves necessary for use at altitude, and the manufacturer's instructions for the Diogenes Pocket Lamp, in German, with pinned translation for the expedition members.
2. Rations tin marked EVEREST 1924.
3. Collapsible Original Primus stove in tin (with spanners, windshield and soot-removers) manufactured by B. A Hjorth & Co of Stockholm (perhaps not that taken on the 1924 expedition, see letters of 1925 in folder).
4. Tin of rations, unopened, marked EVEREST RATIONS 1924 N.E. ODELL 5. Tin of spanners, key and spares for stoves, with wax from seal.
6. Lidded cooking pan containing small cooker (incomplete).
Provenance: Noel E. Odell (and by descent).