The Nydia camera was introduced circa 1900 and a review was carried in the BJPA of 1901: 'The camera when closed up, measures no more than 7¼ x 4¼ x 1¾ inches, and when loaded weighs under one and three quarter pounds. Thus it may be comfortably carried in most coat or jacket pockets.
The body is the changing box itself. A set of light but very strong metal strust connects this with the front, and holds all parts rigidly set out when in use. The bellows is attached to the box, and by a simple device (a slight rotary movement) it can be instantly fixed to or detached from the back of the shutter, making an obsolutely light-tight joint.
The whole operation of setting and refolding the camera takes only four or five seconds'. The camera was sold with a variety of lenses including a specially computed Carl Zeiss Satz Anastigmat f/6.3.
Newman and Guardia's own catalogue extolled the camera: 'the Nydia is an old Favourite which has won a worldwide reputation as the Acme of Lightness combined with the Highest Efiiciency'. They described the camera as the smallest made for quarter or half plates.
The camera was advertised between 1901 and 1913. This example dates from circa 1902-1909 when the company operated from 90 and 92 Shaftesbury Avenue.