Built for the Inman Line's North Atlantic service by Tod & McGregor of Glasgow in 1872, City of Richmond, ushered in a new era of luxury by being the first liner to have hot and cold running water in her passenger cabins. Registered at 4,607 tons gross (2,840 net), she measured 440½ feet in length with a 43½ foot beam and carried a full ship rig on three masts. Driven by a single screw powered by compound inverted 2-cylinder engines, she could steam at 15 knots and had accommodation for 205 Cabin and 1,310 Steerage passengers. Launched on 15th February 1873, she left Liverpool on her maiden voyage to New York on 4th September the same year and remained in service until May 1891 when she was laid up pending sale. Purchased by Norwegian owners who retained her name, she survived only until 1896 when she was scrapped.