ORME, Edward (publisher). A Collection of Portraits of the Savage Traibes inhabiting the Boundaries of the Colony of the cape of Good Hope. Taken from the Life in 1812, by an Officer of the 21st. Lt. Dragoons, engaged in an Expedition against those tribes, under Lt. Coll. Graham. London: Edward Orme, 1822.
2°. Lithographic title page, 6 plates only (of 8, including 4 hand-coloured lithographs by McQueen & Co. and 2 hand-coloured aquatints.) (Title cut down and with old horizontal fold, two plates with extensive repairs, the others with smaller neat reapairs to margins.) Unbound, the plates window-mounted, all within a 20th-century cloth portfolio (remains of old label on upper cover).
VERY RARE. The plates are as follows:
1. 'Hottentot Woman', hand-coloured aquatint (380 x 270mm). (Light soiling to margins).
2. 'A Kaffir Chief', hand-coloured lithograph (380 x 277mm). (Laminated on verso, five repaired tears, the longest about 200mm).
3. 'A Young Hottentot', hand-coloured lithograph (380 x 276mm). (Three small repaired tears).
4. 'A Boshesman', hand-coloured lithograph (382 x 271mm). (Laminated on verso, repaired tears, section of lower blank margin replaced, lightly soiled).
5. 'Hottentot Girl', hand-coloured lithograph (380 x 276mm). (Light soiling to margins).
6. 'A Young Bosheman', hand-coloured aquatint (380 x 275mm). (Small repaired tears to right and upper margins).
The two missing plates are titled 'Female Hottentot with Child' and 'A Bosheman with Poisoned Arrows'. Mendelssohn II,p.271.