The prototype, on canvas transferred from panel, 320 x 194 cm, has been in the Pinacoteca Vaticana, Rome, since 1816 (S. Ferino Pagden & M.A. Zancan, Raffaello - Catalogo completo dei dipinti, 1989, p.104, no.62, ill.). It was painted circa 1511/12 for the High Altar of the Ara Coeli Church, Rome and probably commissioned by Sigismondo de'Conti. He is portrayed as a donor to the right. In 1565 the prototype was transported to the church of San Andrea in Foligno, from where it has taken its name.
See colour illustration