By 1956 Picasso had been working for ten years at the Madoura pottery works in Vallauris, producing decorated ceramics, including platters. While examining some recent work with art historian Douglas Cooper, Picasso commented how splendid they would look in silver, but lamented not knowing anyone who could undertake this project. Cooper proposed that the artist engage the assistance of silver and goldsmith François Hugo. In September, 1956, an agreement was made by which Picasso would provide nineteen plates in biscuit for Hugo to execute in silver in an edition of 20 with 2 artist's proofs. The project was completed in about a year, and during the following eight years, Picasso and Hugo continued to collaborate in gold and silver on other platters, medallions and free-standing figurines.