Accompanied by Patek Philippe Certificate of Origin and Extract from the Archives confirming production of the present watch with enamel miniature in 1990 and its subsequent sale on 18 May 1994. Furthermore delivered with original fitted wooden presentation box and outer packaging.
Since the 1960s, when Patek Philippe re-launched the production of watches with enamel miniatures, only a handful of these masterpieces were created in collaboration with famous artists such as Suzanne Rohr. Such watches were usually cased in the traditional openface style whereas only very few were finished as hunting cased watches.
The enamel of the present watch is signed by Mrs. Suzanne Rohr, one of the last artists able to perpetuate the supremely exacting art of miniature painting on enamel. Mrs. Rohr, who celebrated 35 years of collaboration with Patek Philippe in 2002, reserves her talent for the company. In her hands, the secret alchemy of the coloured enamels offers a second life, of unequalled depth and finesse, to some of the world's greatest art treasures.
The enamel miniature on the present watch is after Hendrick Ter Brugghen's work The Singing Lute Player, c1624, oil on canvas, Davenport Museum of Art.
Hendrick ter Brugghen (1588-1629) began to study painting at the age of thirteen, possibly in the studio of Abraham Bloemert. During a visit to Rome he met Caravaggio and became strongly influenced by his works.
After his return to Utrecht, Ter Brugghen and his followers were named "Caravaggisti" for their adoption of Caravaggio's strong sense of light, the dramatic contrast between light and dark as well as the focus on emotionally charged subject matter.
Ter Brugghen paintings were in such high demand that he received consistent commissions from both public and private sources. His talent and success were also honored by other artists such as the renowned Flemish painter Peter Paul Rubens who described Ter Brugghens's work as "above that of all the other Utrecht artists".
The reverse of the watch is decorated with a "Feuille d'acanthe" or "acanthus leaf" motif. In the ancient Greek and Roman world the garden plant Acanthus mollis was so popular that a design in the shape of an acanthus leaf was used to decorate the tops of Corinthian columns.