Accompanied by an Extract from the Patek Philippe Archives confirming the date of manufacture as 1971 and its subsequent sale on October 31st of the following year.
Patek Philippe produced the extremely popular reference 2499 from 1950 to 1985 in 349 examples. Throughout this reference's history the features of the dial and case underwent four transformations. The first series featured a tachometer dial with square buttons whereas the second series also featured a tachometer scale but possessed round buttons. The third series, as with the present watch, maintained the round buttons but the dial appears without the tachometer scale. The fourth and final manifestation, was nearly identical to the third series solely with the addition of a sapphire crystal.
The third series of the reference 2499 was made between 1960 and 1978 with the majority of the pieces in yellow gold, making examples in pink gold exceedingly rare. The present watch appears to be the third example of a pink gold reference 2499 to be offered at auction. The other two pieces were sold at Antiquorum in The Art of Patek Philippe auction held in 1999 and at Sotheby's Geneva in November of 2004.
Furthermore the addition of the retailers name on the dial, the famed New York firm of Tiffany & Co., adds another lever of interest especially in combination with the accompanying custom gold bracelet from Tiffany's. The long-standing and continuing collaboration between Tiffany and Patek Philippe began in 1851 under the guidance of the companies' owners, Charles Louis Tiffany and Antoine Norbert de Patek. In 1854 Tiffany & Co. began introducing Patek Philippe watches to the American market, including some of the rarest models.
For an example of a reference 2499 see Huber & Banbery, Patek Philippe Wristwatches, p. 302, pl. 458.