Accompanied by an Extract from the Patek Philippe Archives confirming the date of manufacture as 1948 and its subsequent sale on June 24th of the following year.
Patek Philippe commenced production of the reference 2441 in 1948. Manufacture continued until at least 1955 with a total of approximately only 150 to 200 pieces made. This model, often referred to as the "Eiffel Tower", remains easily identifiable by its distinct flared design, resembling the base of the tower.
The present watch represents one of approximately three dozen examples known to the market. To the best of our knowledge, not only is this the first time for this piece to have appeared at auction but it also represents the earliest example by case or movement number known to the market.
For a similar example see Huber & Banbery, Patek Philippe Wristwatches, Volume 2, Second Edition, p. 142, pl. 205.
In 1997, Patek Philippe released the limited edition "Pagoda" model wristwatch, the reference 5500, to commemorate the inauguration of their new watchmaking center in Geneva. The interesting case design of the reference 2441 served as the inspiration for this contemporary production.