This camera was the subject of S. W. Rouch's patent number 1448 of 11 April 1878. The patent described a portable camera which 'consists of a bellows body with a folding baseboard, which folds up when out of use to protect the ground glass. The bottom of the back part of the camera is bevelled so as to provide for a vertical swing, the back being fixed by a pinching-screw working in a slot. The front of the camera is carried by a central piece which slides in a narrow frame, preferably by rack and pinion, the back end of which frame may be attached at one of several places on the baseboard to suit lenses of various focal lengths. By making this attachment with a pinching-screw, the front of the camera carrying the lens can be set at such an angle as to be equivalent to a lateral swing of the back'.