Paul Flato, one of the foremost American jewellery designers, was born in 1900 in Flatonia, Texas. His introduction to the jewellery field started in the role of salesman for Edmond E. Frisch. In the late 1920's he opened his own shop at One East Fifty-Seventh Street in New York City, several years before Tiffany & Co. relocated to their current address just across the street. His design-oriented style, often bordering on the humorous, reached its peak in the 1930's when all the fashionable people of New York gathered in his salon. Adolph Kleaty, George Headley and Fulco di Verdura were among his designers. In 1937, Flato opened a branch in Beverly Hills, at 8657 Sunset Boulevard. This branch remained open for only two years, frequented by such luminaries as Greta Garbo, Joan Crawford, Merle Oberon and Marlene Dietrich. Later in life, Flato left America establishing a shop in Mexico City in the fashionable Zona Rosa district, where this exquisite piece was most likely created. He currently resides in Dallas, Texas, where he recently celebrated his ninety-nineth birthday.