The wooden screw sloop Jumbo was built for Mr. Frederick Ramuz of Westcliff-on-Sea by William Hayward at Southend in 1923. Registered at 17 tons (Thames), she measured 37 feet in length with an 11 foot beam and was powered by a 4-cylinder petrol-paraffin motor by Bergins of Glasgow. Sold to J.H. Maltby of Slinfold, Sussex, in the mid-1920s, she remained in his ownership until the mid-1960s after which she was twice sold in quick succession but was still listed as afloat in 1980.
The twin-screw ketch Giroflée was designed and built for Mr. T.R.S. Maltby of Slinfold, Sussex, by Philip & Son at Dartmouth in 1928. Of composite construction, she was registered at 59 tons (Thames) and measured 62½ feet in length with a 15½ foot beam. Drawing her auxiliary power from a pair of 17nhp. paraffin motors by Bergius of Glasgow, her sails were from Cranfields and she cut quite a dash for her first owner who kept her until 1935 when he replaced her with a larger screw schooner of the same name, the original Giroflée then passing into the ownership of Mr. A.F.A. Trehearne.