This present view was taken from an elevated view point looking out from the rooftop on the west front of the cathedral. From the foreground is the Exchequergate Arch, the pointed arch over the East Gate of the Castle, the small observatory tower with flagstaff, and beyond it the Keep, better known as Lucy Tower. Beyond this is the Trent Valley. The observatory tower was built circa 1815 by Governor John Merryweather, amateur astronomer, the inclusion of the the observatory enavles us to suggest a dated of circa 1820.
We are grateful to John Ellis for his help in preparing this catalogue entry.