The three-legged version of this lamp had a very limited production. It was originally designed by Johnson for his home, The Glass House, in New Canaan, Connecticut, and used subsequently in the Davis House (Wayzata, MN, 1952), the Tremaine House Barn (Madison, CT, 1952) and the Oneto, later Miller, House (Irvington-on-Hudson, NY, 1952). The example is from the Mr. and Mrs. William A. M. Burden apartment at 820 Fifth Avenue, New York, the interior of which was designed by Johnson. Burden was the pioneering president of the Museum of Modern Art in the 1950s and 1960s and oversaw much of the expansion of the museum during that time. The Burdens also commissioned several works from Isamu Noguchi for their home in Northeast Harbor, Maine, including a set of steel andirons sold at Christies, New York, 10 December 2002, lot 129.