One of a set of five pictures by Roos of similar size acquired by Field Marshal Count Johann Matthias von der Schulenburg.
Dr. Hermann Jedding suggests a date for this picture of circa 1695-1700, and notes that the goatherd, in his distinctive hat, recurs, in differing stances, in others of Philip Peter Roos's works, including a drawing, dated 1696 (Stockholm, Nationalmuseum; published in H. Jedding, Johann Heinrich Roos, Mainz, 1998, p. 215, fig. 303), and paintings in the Historisches Museum der Pfalz, Speyer (ibid., p. 204, fig. 287), the Kunsthalle, Hamburg (ibid., p. 209, fig. 295) and formerly with Neumeister, Munich (ibid., p. 219, no. 313).