The present composition follows closely that by Pieter Brueghel the Elder, dated 1565 (F. Grossmann, Brueghel, The Paintings, London, no. 115), which is of similar dimensions to the present picture.
Pieter Brueghel the Younger repeated this composition at different times in his career: the earliest known dated version being that of 1601, in the Kunsthistorisches Museum, Vienna, and the latest that formerly in the collection of Baron Coppée, Brussels, dated 1626. For these and other versions, see G. Marlier, Pierre Brueghel le Jeune, Brussels, 1969, pp. 242-247. In the catalogue of the exhibition Le Siècle de Brueghel, Musées Royaux de Beaux-Arts de Belgique, Brussels, 27 Sept.-24 Nov. 1963, p. 69, Marlier identified the village depicted as Pede-Ste-Anne in Brabant.